Weight gain isn’t supposed to be a shocker during pregnancy. Very often, it is considered a sign of healthy pregnancy. Even doctors suggest so. But, the real concern is how much weight gain is appropriate.
At Sanjeevani Hospital, doctors help you to track and manage your body weight during the entire journey of pregnancy. Every pregnancy is unique.So, at the best obstetrics hospital in Bangalore, our doctors and medical staff carefully consider the stage of pregnancy, specific health condition of the mother, complications; if any and then suggest how much weight gain is safe and risk free.
How Much Weight Must a Pregnant Woman Gain?
There is no definite weight range as the “Normal”. Tends to vary for every woman. So, it is always advisable to consult your doctor on this during the routine appointment. Every woman is asked to lead a healthy lifestyle and abide by a healthy eating routine during pregnancy. This can contribute majorly if there are a few extra pounds to be shed before the birth of the baby.The weight gain in pregnancy guidelines follows the BMI (Body Mass Index):
- If the mother is under-weight and the BMI is below 18.5, then it is recommended to gain 28 to 40 lbs.
- If the woman is healthy, with a BMI of 18.5 to 24.9, then it is advised to gain 25 to 35 lbs.
- If the woman is overweight, with a BMI of 25 to 29.9, then the recommended weight gain is 15 to 25 lbs.
Based on the pregnancy, balanced nutrition is recommended for every pregnant woman. The best recommended calorie count would be:
- In the 1st trimester, the women must consume 1800 calories per day.
- In the 2nd trimester, 2200 calories per day, and
- In the 3rd trimester, 2400 calories per day.
When a pregnant woman gains weight, it is usually not because of the fat buildup. Some causes for the normal and obvious weight gain during pregnancy is:
- Growth of the placenta, amniotic fluid, blood supply into the womb
- growth of the baby, breast tissues, and growth of the uterus
At the best obstetrics hospital in Bangalore, these changes are regularly monitored by our doctors through tests performed on the routine visits during the course of pregnancy.
How to Manage Weight During Pregnancy?
If the woman is overweight in terms of BMI from the starting trimester then it is necessary to control and manage the weight to avoid complications. So, the prime focus should be on staying active, exercising regularly, and eating the right amount and quality of food.
A healthy lifestyle chart must be planned, and that should include:
- Eating fresh fruits and vegetables that are low in fat but high in calories.
- Avoiding gravy and food cooked in butter, mayonnaise, or sauces.
- Choosing skimmed milk or low-fat milk.
- One can also switch to fat-free cheese or yogurt, which is a healthy alternative to milk.
- Avoid artificial and added sugar, and choose natural sweeteners.
- Avoiding junk foods, which include cookies, cakes, chips, and ice creams.
- Moderate exercise is advised that includes brisk walking.
So, there is no reason to panic as weight gain during pregnancy is very normal. But, one must also go for regular check-ups till the birth of the child to keep it in track and detect any cause of concern early or avoid them completely. For more information, visit our high risk pregnancy hospital in Bangalore or call us at +91990015972 and schedule an appointment today.